Funded 3-year PhD in computational neuroimaging at University of Zurich, starting 07/2016

Applications are invited for a funded PhD position in neurobiology. The candidate will work on formal models of human fear learning, and their neurobiological implementation. The methodical focus will be on computational neuroimaging (3T and 7T MRI, possibly TMS), and modelling of behaviour. The wider goal of the research group is to investigate conserved neural circuits that support survival behaviour in the face of threat, and to obtain a computational understanding of the algorithms they implement. The ultimate goal of this research programme is to improve our understanding of pathological emotions in psychiatric disorders (http://bachlab.org).

The laboratory offers a friendly and collaborative research environment, close supervision, a research-dedicated 3T MRI scanner and access to a 7T scanner, a fully equipped psychological/psychophysiological testing lab, and access to EEG facilities. We currently host 2 PhD students, 2 PostDocs, as well as support staff and students. Our offices, behavioural testing facilities, and 3T scanner, are located in the Department of Psychiatry, University of Zurich, Switzerland (http://bachlab.org/contact).

The position is funded by the University of Zurich for 3 years and paid according to university standards (47'000 - 50'000 CHF). The candidate will participate in the PhD programme of the Zurich Neuroscience Centre (admission via track II: neuroscience.uzh.ch).

We are looking for a highly motivated individual who wishes to pursue a career in science, and has an interest in theoretical neuroscience as well as hands-on experimentation. Applicants should have MSc or equivalent in neuroscience, biology, biomedicine, computer science, physics, psychology, or a related science/engineering discipline. Prior experience is required in either cognitive neuroscience, theoretical neuroscience, or animal models of fear. Familiarity with fMRI, and Matlab or R, would be useful. Fluent English is mandatory, German is not required.

Starting date is July 2016. Applications deadline is 15.4.2016, later applications are accepted until the position is filled (http://bachlab.org/opportunities for updates). Applicants should send, in one merged PDF, a cover letter including a statement of research interest, CV, publication list, relevant certificates (including MSc degree with grades), and the name and contact of at least two references to:

More information on the lab: http://bachlab.org

This ad can also be found at: http://bachlab.org/opportunities