A Decent Interval

Charles Paris Mystery

A production of Hamlet proves fatal for several of the cast. Bill Nighy stars as Charles Paris, the actor who is never far from a murder. Dramatised by Jeremy Front, starring Bill Nighy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0746jl2

Episode 1

Charles Paris MysteryA Decent Interval  Episode 1 of 4
Listen in pop-out player

by Jeremy Front
based on the novel by Simon Brett

Directed by Sally Avens

Charles, bit part actor and amateur sleuth, returns to the stage as the Ghost in Hamlet, but rehearsals are fraught as both Ophelia and Hamlet are being played by reality TV stars and soon it's not only Shakespeare's lines that are being murdered. As the body count rises so do Charles suspicions.
Whilst at home Frances fears she may have come to the end of allowing her semi-detached husband to remain as her lodger.

Jeremy Front (Magnificent Women, Sword of Honour) continues his successful adaptations of Simon Brett's novels starring
Bill Nighy (Marigold Hotel, Dad's Army)as Charles Paris
Suzanne Burden (Fresh Meat, Tis Pity she's A Whore) as Frances - Charles ex-wife from whom he's never been able to detach himself
Amelia Bullmore (Scott and Bailey, Down The Line) as Geraldine - an actress that Charles finds very attractive and who moves in to Frances' house.
Jon Glover (Episodes, Hitchhikers) as Maurice - Charles' long suffering agent.

Broadcast

#

Episode 2

by Jeremy Front
based on Simon Brett's novel

Directed by Sally Avens

Charles is playing The Ghost and the Gravedigger in Hamlet but when the reality star playing the young Dane is badly injured he begins tosuspect that the accident may have been deliberate and other members of the cast may be in danger.

Episode 3

by Jeremy Front
based on Simon Brett's novel

Directed by Sally Avens

Charles has eventually got a job in Hamlet but within a week the reality star playing Hamlet has been hospitalized and the one playing Opheliafound dead.
Charles may not have been a fan of their acting abilities but he doesn't want the show to close and he suspects foul play, but who would want to kill them?

Episode 4 has not yet aired.

Professor of English and Loser Studies
4314 Turlington Hall
P.O. Box 117310
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL
32611-7310
Phone: 352 258-2458
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/syllabi.html
http://users.clas.ufl.edu/burt/publications.html
http://blog.lareviewofbooks.org/provocations/transcript-lost-stand-monologue/

"I should not like my writing to spare other people the trouble of thinking. But, if possible, to stimulate someone to thoughts of his own. I should have liked to produce a good book. This has not come about, but the time is past in which I could improve it."

CAMBRIDGE,

January 1945.

Ludwig WittgensteinPhilosophical Investigations, translated byGE. M. Anscombe