Hi Wendy,

These are very important questions and I would love to be involved in further discussions on the subject.

For preservation metadata you might want to have a look at PREMIS <http://www.loc.gov/standards/premis/v3/> .

But as you have pointed out, recording preservation metadata is one thing, and setting up proper preservation actions (review / retain / archive / delete) is a different thing. Should we aim to ever automate these decisions (as to delete the files or not?). If these decisions are not automated, what is more cost-beneficial: keeping everything forever (taking into account that the cost of storage will decrease) or manually reviewing the records? Or could we use some semi-automated models to improve our decision-making?

We have our research repository (DSpace) already since 2005, so some of the records have been kept in our repository already for over 10 years. Just in the past year we have accepted over 340 data depositions. At the moment we are not deleting any records.

Best wishes and many thanks for starting this interesting discussion,

Marta

Marta Teperek, PhD

Research Data Facility Manager

Cambridge University Library / Research Operations Office

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

tel. 01223 333138 (Friday - Monday)

tel. 01223 761652 (Thursday)