While IT and many organizations are in the midst of an unprecedented
explosion in data-gathering, a new study finds that only 15 percent of all
stored data contains business-critical information. The remaining 85
percent is either dark, meaning its value is unknown, redundant, obsolete
or trivial. The reason, according to the study: The data hoarding culture
and an indifferent attitude to retention policy. "Understanding and
acknowledging that a data hoarding culture exists is a first step in
addressing the problem," said Ben Gibson, CMO of Veritas, which
commissioned the study by research firm Vanson Bourne. Although more
organizations recognize the problem, most do not know what data to start
evaluating, what risk it may contain and where the value is discovered, he
said.

http://bit.ly/1WTvbZM
http://bit.ly/1WTvbZM+

Peterk