From: Realist and Meta-narrative Evidence Synthesis: Evolving Standards [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joanne Greenhalgh
Sent: 02 March 2016 15:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Boundaries of generative causation

Hi Steve

Thanks for posting.  An interesting question.  Some immediate thoughts:

My reading of this is that ‘being housed leads to an increase in mental well-being’ is a proposition that posits a relationship between two variables (housing status and mental health status).  What is missing is  the ‘how and why’ does being housed lead to an increase in mental well being – ie what’s missing is the mechanism.

So, what is it about being housed that improves people’s mental well being?  I know this seems obvious – ‘of course people feel better when they are housed’… but why is that?  Through what mechanism(s) does being housed lead to an improvement in someone’s mental well-being? Similarly, what is it about being housed that enables people to choose healthier lifestyles? You can see housing as a resource, mental health/healthier lifestyle is an outcome – what’s the mechanism through which housing influences mental health/health lifestyles?

Hope this helps a little.  Am sure the more philosophically inclined will have something to say. And am sure people will have a different take on this too.

Best wishes

Joanne