The misleadingly named ‘national living wage’ is being introduced on 1 April. For some time press and online comments on it have shown that there is much confusion between it and the real Living Wage. Very many commentators, including those on Wikipedia apparently, seem to think they are simply different levels of the same concept, a minimum wage rate, without grasping that the real LW is based on the contribution earnings make to minimum adequate household incomes taking account of other relevant government transfers, while the Osborne higher minimum wage rate version pays no regard to living decency standards, household needs or transfer payments.

I’d written a couple of longer pieces about this politically motivated misrepresentation last year* but was recently asked to write a one-page simple explanation of the problem suitable for use in a wide range of contexts. It’s been peer reviewed and edited to take account of helpful comments so I hope it does the job adequately.

It’s attached and if you find it helpful, please give it the maximum publicity since this isn’t an academic matter. There’s a serious risk that publics [including voters, politicians and journalists] and eligible low paid workers will be misled into believing that the NLW meets the public’s minimum decency standards when it doesn’t and wasn’t designed to do so. This mystification then risks ‘blaming the victim’ for not managing on the inadequate income which the NLW continues to offer.

Please excuse the inevitable duplications. I’m sorry, but I hope you understand.

John Veit-Wilson.

* http://www.cost-ofliving.net/stealing-a-good-name/

Osborne’s fictitious ‘living wage’”, in: Radical Statistics 113, 2015, pp 39-47

From Professor John Veit-Wilson

Newcastle University GPS -- Sociology

Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, England.

Tel: 0044[0]191-208 7498

email [log in to unmask]

www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/j.veit-wilson/

****************************************************** Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your message will go only to the sender of this message. If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's 'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically to [log in to unmask] Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk. *******************************************************