The discussion would be helped if contributors were to distinguish between boycott as expressive/symbolic actions [‘I don’t want to have dealings with you’] and substantive actions [‘I’m going to try to make you do something’]. The confusion between expressive and substantive ends is very common in many fields and remarkably commonly ignored, though it’s central to both effective analysis and tactical planning. A lot of people carry out symbolic acts expressively when they realise they can’t act substantively to change a situation and they want to make a public display of the matter at issue. It doesn’t help when actors themselves are unclear about the distinction and try to justify their morally noble expressive acts in terms of some implausible substantive outcomes.

There may be other secondary achievable substantive outcomes which are worth aiming for – what are they in this instance? Direct action in supporting Palestinian students is another both/and beside expressive acts to pursue, as some academics do.

John VW.

From Professor John Veit-Wilson
Newcastle University GPS -- Sociology
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU, England.
Tel: 0044[0]191-208 7498
email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/j.veit-wilson<http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/j.veit-wilson/>/
From: email list for Radical Statistics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kornbrot, Diana
Sent: 07 March 2016 12:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: The academic boycott of Israel

Peace and effective tactics
All those who deplore current Israeli poiclies on settlements, actions of IDF and imprisonment without trial have a dilemma.
How to act effectively? Especially given that peace talks are non-existent and international intervention is minimal or negative.

In my view, the boycott is not likely to be effective and is likely to have negative effects. This is view if Telegraph/Gruardian letters - all of whom deplore current situation.
Negative effects are polarisation and fortress mentality within Israel and anti-semitism world wide. I am NOT accusing the boycotters of wanting these consequences, but they are highly likely all the same. If the boycott was effective then negative consequences could be justified, but if not effective …

Many boycotters seem to be saying that the worse the atrocities the more justified the boycott.
Doing something is always better than doing nothing?
Doing something has the + of making actors feel good. BUT if no good and some harm results, exactly the opposite of what the boycotters are trying to achieve.

Effectiveness  should be the prime criterion
best
Diana