At 15:56 03/03/2016 +0000, Kevin.Mcconway wrote:
>I'd agree with Rachel. But I'd also be concerned about the whole idea, in
>that we also need to emphasise good uses of statistics. There's a risk
>that we might give people the idea that it's all damned lies.

I have to say that the same was my first reaction when I read this proposal
(well-intentioned though it is).  The "damned lies" issue is already a big
enough problem in terms of public perception of, and public opinions/views
about, 'statistics', and if we were to fuel that further by highlighting
many cases which were (for want of a better term!) "damned lies", things
could easily just get worse!

Human nature being what it is, I would have thought that the approach more
likely to improve public perception and understanding would be to 'major
on' the 'good uses of statistics' and, within that context, to 'mention'
contrasting examples of 'Bad Stats'.

.... but that is, of course, just my humble opinion!!

Kind Regards,

John

Dr John Whittington,       Voice:    +44 (0) 1296 730225
Mediscience Services       Fax:      +44 (0) 1296 738893
Twyford Manor, Twyford,    E-mail:   [log in to unmask]
Buckingham  MK18 4EL, UK

Please note that if you press the 'Reply' button your
message will go only to the sender of this message.
If you want to reply to the whole list, use your mailer's
'Reply-to-All' button to send your message automatically
to [log in to unmask]
Disclaimer: The messages sent to this list are the views of the sender and cannot be assumed to be representative of the range of views held by subscribers to the Radical Statistics Group. To find out more about Radical Statistics and its aims and activities and read current and past issues of our newsletter you are invited to visit our web site www.radstats.org.uk.