Hi there Chemistry people!,

I am a second year undergraduate chemist, who will (with luck) be graduating with a master's degree in chemistry. I have also had the opportunity to volunteer for my university's TV station, and have fallen in love with that, to the point where I am considering to use my scientific background in this area.

As I have worked on shows from idea through to release, I know how getting a show out works for the most part, so I feel that this is something I could viably do.

At the moment I have no idea whether I would want to jump into presenting or hang back and be more of an advisor for the crew involved in productions at the various stages.

This is why I ask how would I approach getting into this line of work, and also what things should I do at University to give myself the best possible chance to succeed in this area?

These are things I have/are doing just so you all know where I am before making any suggestions :)

I continue to volunteer within the station, and will be running for a committee role as well. I have through this: presented, camera operated, worked tech, designed sets, edited, produced and been a runner for both recorded and live shows. I have also advised in a feature length film on how to show science in a forensic setting for a low budget film (Circa 300 pounds).  This is the only video based media platform accessible to me through the university.

I have also tutored privately, off my own back and currently do outreach for my department, so I can talk to people pretty well about science.

I hope that you guys can help me,

Many Thanks,

Liam Mair

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send reqests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)