Hi Keith,
A key question in making sense of deductive logic is HOW  cognitive closure
is achieved, i.e. how it relates to the activity 'deduce'.

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Russell
Sent: Wednesday, 16 March 2016 6:08 AM
To: PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related
research in Design <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Abduction, Induction, and Deduction

Dear Terry,

Decisions trees, in terms of closure and/or commitment to action, are, I
suggest, predicated on cognitive actions (events) that have already
occurred.
That is, from the vast array of information presented to consciousness, by
pre-conscious events, some are brought to attention (pre-logic) from this
cluster, some are then selected (initial logic) and from this primary
organisation, some are then elected (logic proper).

In a deductive process, cognitive closure would be achieved (deduced) and
action would then follow.

In a abductive process, cognitive closure would be presented as a
possibility, but it would be open to further vision/revisions.

In some circumstances, deductive action would show a better outcome (more
mice caught) in other circumstance, abduction would show a better outcome
(less energy wasted trying to catch mice that didnšt get caught).

Temperamentally, one individual may be disposed towards deductive action,
another person to abductive action.

A professional is obviously a person capable of both approaches and a person
also able to discern regularities in the relative usefulness of such
approaches.

It would be profoundly stupid to go abductive (indecisive) when you clearly
know the car is going to hit you unless you move (or so you have deducted).

I donšt think we need the baggage of linguistic accounts of closure in this
model. Not because you canšt provide such accounts, but because the purpose
of cognition is motivated by its own events and not by linguistic accounts
in text books (linguistic accounts can thus be motivational inasmuch as they
may be the grounds of cognitive experiences).

I like the cats

keith

On 16/03/2016, 1:02 AM, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD
studies and related research in Design on behalf of Terence Love"