Those researching and advocating Transition Design certainly believe that what has been lacking from many other disciplines' and professions' approaches to systemic change are design perspectives - understood as foregrounding sociomaterial practices.

However, there has never been the suggestion that "design alone is the solution.”

The very choice of the name ‘Transition’ sought to connect design to psychology (of personal change), economics (of post-communist and developing nations), ecology (tipping points in interconnected ecosystems), technology (innovation management and policy) and of course social change activists (Transition Towns). The notion of Transition Design is proving to have considerable traction with those in Transitions Management who have found it a useful way to understand the difference designers can make to the multi-stage transformation of social practices.

The teaching of Transition Design at CMU is done formally only to graduate students and doctoral candidates. At the undergraduate level, where the focus remains on deep studio-based education (in the craft of designing products, communications and environments), it manifests primarily via a sequence of interdisciplinary Design Studies subjects exploring
- place-based design and bioregionalism
- systems thinking
- social research methods and cultural difference
- critical futures
- persuasion and performance.

For those interested see:
Terry Irwin’s article in Design and Culture
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17547075.2015.1051829#abstract

The whole of the latest Design Philosophy Papers
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rfdp20/13/1

For the syllabus of the Transition Design Seminar taught across all our Interaction Design programs
https:[log in to unmask]

Cameron