Dear Colleagues,

The next London PUS Seminar will be taking place at 4.15pm on Wednesday 16th March 2016, in room QUE3 28/29 at LSE. We are delighted to announce that our speaker will be Rupert Cole from UCL, talking about ‘Really, my dear Eric, you are not the Messiah!’: The Laithwaite Affair of 1974-5.   His abstract is below and on our website http://londonpus.wordpress.com

Hope to see you on 16th.

Best wishes
Jane Gregory, Martin Bauer, Simon Lock, Melanie Smallman

4.15pm, Wednesday 16th March 2016, Room QUE3 28/29, LSE
Rupert Cole, UCL; ‘Really, my dear Eric, you are not the Messiah!’: The Laithwaite Affair of 1974-5

In November 1974 Eric Laithwaite (1921-1997), Professor of Heavy Electrical Engineering at Imperial College, gave a controversial Friday Evening Discourse at the Royal Institution (RI) that challenged Newton’s Laws of Motion through a series of gyroscopic demonstrations. It was accompanied by a wave of local, national and international press reports – some of the most sensationalist of which were briefed by Laithwaite himself – that announced the discovery of an anti-gravity device and, remarkably, claims of parapsychology.

Laithwaite belonged to an elite group of science communicators connected to the RI. In the 1960s and early-1970s he had built a considerable professional and public reputation based on his work on linear motors, which he championed through frequent television appearances as a new method of high-speed train transport. Following his 1974 Discourse on gyroscopes, which marked the beginning of a dramatic shift in his reputation, a complex and difficult situation emerged at the RI. Laithwaite had already been booked to deliver the 1974/5 Christmas Lectures and it was too late to alter this arrangement. When it became clear he intended to repeat his controversial views using this platform of the RI’s famous lecture tradition aimed at children that would be televised by the BBC, his friends and fellow communicators of science George Porter (1920-2002), Director of the RI, and Richard Gregory (1923-2010), RI Manager, attempted to censure him.

This talk will examine the background, consequences and significance of the Laithwaite Affair. It will attempt to understand how and why a prominent public communicator of science and highly-respected academic challenged the scientific establishment, set in the context of the institutional and cultural climates of the mid-1970s. It will also analyse the role of the media in the construction of the controversy; the policing tactics of the scientific establishment; and the public reaction to Laithwaite’s Discourse and Christmas Lectures.