Best wishes,
Rosemary Hayes

Sent from my iPad

On 30 Mar 2016, at 03:00, Thomas Izbicki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

A recent book on a mortuary roll:

Bruno the Carthusian and his Mortuary Roll
Studies, Text, and Translations
H. BeyerG. SignoriS. Steckel (eds.)

XII+326 p., 4 b/w ill., 156 x 234 mm, 2014
ISBN: 978-2-503-55009-1
Languages: English, German

Tom Izbicki

From: "Ms B M Cook" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:58:10 PM
Subject: [M-R] Itineraries

Dear Friends,

Several years ago while I was working in the British Library I came across a set of volumes that had recently been published (say since 1990) which consisted of an examination and a transcription of a number of Obituary Rolls (rotuli / commemoration rolls ) – they go by different names but were the death notices carried from monastery to monastery following the death of an abbot. Every abbey where the Obituary Roll rested and celebrated a requiem mass also added a tribute to the roll. This work transcribed several rolls belonging to “France” in the 10, 11 & 12 centuries and included maps and traced the routes and identified the connections between the originating monastery and those selectively visited.

Unfortunately I cannot now find my reference and an attempt to identify it in the BL catalogue through subject or keyword has proved negative. Dose anyone recognise the work from this fuzzy description and if so can they give me enough of a citation to find it in the BL.

I hope to be in London next week.

(The really famous obit. roll is that of the Blessed Vital of Savigny where the contribution made by Argenteuil may plausible be in the hand of Heloise. This is NOT one of the items in the publication I am seeking.)

Hopefully,

Brenda M. Cook
Independent Scholar