From: Museums Computer Group [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Katherine West [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 March 2016 14:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MCG] RAW vs TIFF files

Hello,

I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice.

I am working on a HLF project in the New Forest aiming to create a website which will be a portal to information on the New Forest. This includes digitising a large part of the New Forest Centre's museum and library collection to be uploaded to the website as well as forming a high quality digital archive.

We have purchased a digital SLR camera and will be using it to digitise a range of objects, from maps to glass plate negatives and 35mm slides. We have a limited budget and will be storing digitised copies on the cloud and an external hard drive.

We are currently discussing whether we should be saving the RAW files or whether TIFF files will be sufficient for a master digital archive. Our concern is that RAW files might take up too much space on our storage system, but also that we should be capturing the digital copies with as much detail and information as possible for the future.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? Do other organisations often use RAW files instead of TIFF? What are the advantages either way? Any advice would be a huge help! Thank you.

Katherine.

Katherine West
Digitisation Officer
New Forest Knowledge Project
Please note: My working days are Wednesday - Friday. I may not be able to respond to emails immediately outside of these days. Thank you for your understanding.
New Forest Centre
Lyndhurst
Hampshire
SO43 7NY