Hey Nico

We’re doing some experimental kiosk/touchscreen prototypes running WordPress (on a Pi, although it could be anything running a pretty standard LAMPy environment) and using CultureObject (http://cultureobject.co.uk/) to pull in collections data from various sources. The “provider" model supports various collections management systems (currently AdLib, CultureGrid, KE Emu, CollectionSpace - others coming soon) as well as an early stage CSV import option. Also in the pipeline is a touchscreen-friendly “kiosk” theme.

Benefit of using WP as opposed to something bespoke are pretty well defined:

1) Can be made to look nice (which is where IMO many existing solutions fall over pretty badly)
2) Open source, so you’re always going to be able to find a friendly dev to help with new visual / tech changes - and not beholden to any particular company
3) Well-tested, solid, simple tech environment - no desktop apps, easy to dial in and edit content, etc etc

I’ve done some work recently looking at KioskPro running on an iPad - it’s a nice solution, and the option to pull in / sync with external datasources like Dropbox makes for content that can be changed relatively easily. But - it’s always going to be relatively flat content. Although KioskPro does have a simple forms / javascript API you’re not going to be able to deliver stuff like collections searches, paging, any kind of interaction without getting horribly hacky.

As it happens, we’ve also been playing with whether it’s possible to effectively dump out WordPress edited pages as flat HTML for this sort of environment, but that’s a whole other story..

Happy to talk through the Pi / CultureObject stuff if you need - [log in to unmask]

cheers!

Mike

Mike Ellis

Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency: http://thirty8.co.uk