Hi All,

We at Hellicar&Lewis have made a digital signage system for the Community Action Network:

http://can-online.org.uk/

Using openFrameworks for the front end:

http://openframeworks.cc/

And node.js for the backend:

https://nodejs.org/en/

We found these memory cards:

http://www.lexar.com/microsd-633x

To be much less susceptible to corruption, which was an early problem.

We’ll be open sourcing completely very soon, happy to send source privately in the mean time.

Best,

Joel
> On 9 Mar 2016, at 10:26, Gareth de Walters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> @nilscreates and I took a different tack. We set up a digital gallery labels pilot using two e-ink displays, the Visionect server software, and the GatherContent API to serve the copy.
>
> The displays have been running continuously for several months now, and look so natural that colleagues are surprised to learn they’re digital. A simple script turns the content from the GatherContent API into HTML, which is then served to the displays by Visionect. Updates are managed easily through the normal GatherContent editing interface.
>
> The displays themselves are very low profile, so are easy to mount into case displays. Also, they emit next to no heat. No auto-boot worries, as they connect straight to Visionect or display the last copy they received until they get new instructions.
>
> - g
>
> Gareth de Walters | Digital Content Production Manager | Auckland War Memorial Museum | Tamaki Paenga Hira | The Domain, Private Bag 92018, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142, New Zealand | www.aucklandmuseum.com <http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/> | P +64 9 309 0443 ext 7108 | E [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>

>> On 9/03/2016, at 10:42 PM, Mike Ellis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> We're building some prototype signage tools for the Raspberry Pi - it’s a relatively simple thing that runs a local web server / web page but then calls out to the web for bits of content. Ultimately it’ll be hitting up a WordPress install via the WP REST API then caching content locally so we can do stuff like retrieve the days’ events from the museum website and show them on-gallery - that sort of thing.
>>
>> I know some people are doing groovy things with Pi’s in a production environment - particularly Watershed, Bristol Museums - but I’m interested in hearing:
>>
>> 1) about any other examples
>>
>> and
>>
>> 2) what experiences there are in how resilient Pi’s are longer term - running day after day. The one I’ve built boots automatically into a fullscreen browser and fetches the relevant page. Then it updates itself every 10 minutes via ajax. I’ve been running it all day for a week now without any issues, and no sign of anything getting hot / tired (this is a RPi 3 - super fast!) - but if anyone has experience of whether there are any issues after months of uptime, that’d be good to hear…
>>
>> Oh - related to 2) - what are good solutions for auto booting / shutdown each day?
>>
>> Thanks muchly
>>
>> Mike

>> Mike Ellis
>>
>> Thirty8 Digital: a small but perfectly formed digital agency: http://thirty8.co.uk

> [...]