From: A bibliometrics discussion list for the Library and Research Community <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> on behalf of Elizabeth Gadd <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 2:11 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Introducing the new Lis-Bibliometrics Committee

Hi Matthew

Great question about a bibliometrics educational plan for liaison librarians.  I'm sure others will have a view on this but here at Loughborough University the Library have taken the novel approach of developing a set of competency statements for their librarians (around both bibliometrics and other areas).  This helps the librarians understand what is expected of them, where there may be gaps in their knowledge and also when to refer to us in the Research Office.  The competency statements involve particular activities they might be expected to help an academic with or provide training on (finding an h-index on Scopus; identifying collaborators on SciVal, etc) and also levels of understanding around how bibliometrics should be used responsibly.  We are providing some training for the Academic Librarians on responsible use of metrics in a few months.

Other thoughts anyone?

Elizabeth Gadd
Research Policy Manager (Publications)
Research Office