Hello,
	  Is it possible that you typed something like:

fslmaths 1.nii.gz -add 2 1_2_added.nii.gz

rather than

fslmaths 1.nii.gz -add 2.nii.gz 1_2_added.nii.gz

?

As a check, can you rename your files to something with a non-numeric basename, e.g.   image1.nii.gz, image2.nii.gz and repeat the fslmaths call?

Kind Regards
Matthew