-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Open Letter to the International Academic Community on the
Crisis in Brazil
Date: 	Fri, 25 Mar 2016 06:57:52 -0300
From: 	Rebecca Abers <[log in to unmask]>
To: 	Rebecca Neaera Abers <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Friends and Colleagues, attached is the English version of letter
to the international academic community that a growing group of
Brazilian scientists and academics are signing, expressing concern about
the current political crisis in Brazil. About 2,500 have signed thus far
(the signatures are still being organized but many of them are already
on the website: (http://brazilianobservatory.com/*. )*

We are encouraging foreign scholars to sign the petition at
http://community.avaaz.org/petitions/brazilian-democracy-is-seriously-threatened
to support this cause.

Please send to your colleagues and other academic contact, encouraging
them to sign.
Thanks!
Rebecca Abers
University of Brasília
brasilia.academia.edu/ <http://brasilia.academia.edu/>*RebeccaAbers*

--
Rebecca Abers
Professora

brasilia.academia.edu/ <http://brasilia.academia.edu/>*RebeccaAbers

****

*

Open Letter to the International Academic Community

We, professors and researchers from Brazilian universities, hereby
address the International Academic Community to report serious breaches
in the rule of law currently taking place in Brazil.

After a long history of coups and a violent military dictatorship, our
country has enjoyed its longest period of democratic stability since the
1988 Constitution established a number of individual and civil rights.

Despite progress in recent years with respect to social policy, Brazil
remains a deeply unequal country with a political system marked by high
levels of patronage and corruption. The influence of big business in the
electoral process through private campaign financing has led to
consecutive corruption scandals involving politicians from all sides.

In recent years, a national outcry against corruption has increasingly
dominated public opinion. Public accountability and law enforcement
agencies have responded by intensifying anti-corruption efforts,
targeting major companies and political elites.

Unfortunately, this laudable process has been used to destabilize a
democratically elected government, resulting in an exacerbation of the
current economic and political crisis in our country. The same judiciary
that should protect the political and legal integrity of our country has
become an epicenter of this process.

The main anti-corruption investigation, the “Operação Lava Jato”
(Operation Car Wash), is headed by a lower level federal judge, Sérgio
Moro, who has systematically utilized procedures that Brazilian
legislation clearly defines as exceptional, such as pre-trial detention
and coercive transportation of witnesses for depositions. Arbitrary
detentions have been openly justified as a method to pressure the
accused into accepting plea bargains in which they denounce alleged
accomplices. Information about the cases has been regularly and
selectively leaked to the media. Indeed, evidence suggests that the
press has received prior information about important police operations
so as to mobilize public opinion against the accused. Even the nation’s
President was targeted by an illegal wiretap. The above-named judge
subsequently handed over excerpts of both legal and illegal wiretaps to
the press for public disclosure, even when they involved private
discussions with no relevance to the investigation. The purpose was
clearly to embarrass specific politicians.

Complaints against leaders of political parties in the opposition have
been disregarded and silenced by the mainstream press. At the same time,
although the “Operação Lava Jato” has has yet to accuse President Dilma
Roussef,the corruption investigations have been used to support
impeachment proceedings in the House of Representatives, led by Speaker
Eduardo Cunha, an opposition congressmen. Cunha, however, is accused of
corruption and is being investigated by Ethics Committee of the same House

When the actions of public authorities begin to challenge basic legal
rights such as the presumption of innocence, equal protection, and due
process, we must exercise caution. When noble ends seem to justify
procedural breaches, the danger is enormous.

Sérgio Moro does not have the necessary exemption and impartiality to
head the current investigations. The fight against corruption must be
conducted within strict legal boundaries that respect the fundamental
rights of defendants.

Segments of the judiciary involved in this process have worked in close
in alliance with the mainstream media, that has been historically
aligned with Brazil’s political oligarchy. In particular, the country’s
largest television station, the Globo Television Network, openly
supported the military dictatorship (1964-1985).

We fear that the breakdown of the rule of law underway is a threat to
Brazilian democracy that may lead to grave and even violent social
polarization.For these reasons, we ask our colleagues abroad for
solidarity and support in the defense of legality and of Brazil’s
democratic institutions.