Apologies for cross posting.

*Book project: Public Space Design and Social Cohesion – Call for Chapters*

An interdisciplinary group of researchers from the Department of Urban
studies and Planning, The University of Sheffield are currently working on
a book project on Public Space Design and Social Cohesion: a Comparative
Perspective between the Western World and Global South to place it in the
Routledge series on Planning and Urban design. Initial contacts with the
publishers have indicated a strong interest, and we are now at the stage of
putting together a list of authors and abstracts to finalise an agreement
with Routledge.

This book is intended to shed new light on the ongoing debates on public
space design and social cohesion. Many current researches across the world
particularly undertaken by governmental agencies have attempted to identify
the places and qualities that build social cohesion and to propose
solutions to improve them. However, these researches either focus more on
the social rather than the spatial qualities, in this way have not deeply
reflected on the role of public space design, or mainly foreground the
Anglo-American
dominated sociological literature. This knowledge gap provides the impetus
for this book and takes a global view in understanding how these attributes
manifest in the western world and global south.

To do so, we aim to gather research from a number of both leading and young
promising scholars and practitioners from the global south and western
world to share their knowledge and experience on these issues. By adopting
a comparative perspective, we expect to discuss various case studies in
different cultural and social contexts with distinct planning and design
ideals and by doing so to uncover emerging perspectives in terms of
theories and practices that can expand our knowledge on the topic.

For those interested in contributing with a book chapter, please take note
of the following submission guidelines:

-       An *abstract* of 300 words should be submitted by email to the
editors Patricia Aelbrecht ([log in to unmask]) and Bobby Nisha (
[log in to unmask]) by *15 April, 2016.*

-       Prospective authors are encouraged to write a chapter *specifically*
for the volume. However, it is also possible to draw on already published
work, adapting this to address the volume theme.

-       Chapters need to be written in *English*, and language editing is
the responsibility of the authors.

-

-       The editors will *choose* the most promising abstracts from those
submitted: the criteria that will be used here are: relevance to the goals
set out for the volume, originality of scope, theoretical sophistication,
and empirical grounding of the material.

-       We will be aiming to have a broad representation of authors from
different contexts within the western world and global south, using a range
of methodological and theoretical approaches. Prospective authors will be
informed of our editorial decision by *1 June 2016*. Feedback will be
provided so as to ensure that selected chapters are written in ways that
contribute organically to the volume planned.

-       The *first draft* of the chapter is to reach the editors by *1
September 2016*. Editorial comments will reach authors by *15 December 2016*,
and *final drafts* will need to be submitted by *15 February 2017* for
onward transmission to the publishers with the ultimate aim to publish the
book in *December 2017*.

-       Chapters will need to be around *7,000 words* in length, an
essential prerequisite to be eligible for the REF. The style sheet for
references and bibliography will be forwarded to all authors whose abstract
has been selected for the volume.

Best wishes,

 The editors

Dr. Patricia Aelbrecht
Department of Urban Studies and Planning
University of Sheffield
Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN
phone: +44 (0)114 222 6935