We cordially invite researchers and doctoral students to the

'Possibilities of 'data' in social research' Summer Seminar*

at the University of Tampere, Finland

On 16-17th of August, 2016.

International Facilitators:
Professor Bernadette Baker (Queensland University of Technology, Australia)
Professor Mikko Lehtonen (School of Communication, Media and Theatre, University of Tampere)
Professor Mirka Koro-Ljungberg (Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University, USA)
Professor Eva Bendix Petersen (Department and Psychology and Educational Studies, Roskilde University, Denmark)

Description
The concept of 'data' is treated dominantly as unproblematic in social research. "Data has become a key element of one of the main grand narratives of research. Data is survey responses, numbers, interview transcripts, artifacts, texts, observations, notes, images, and so on." (Koro-Ljungberg and MacLure, 2013 p. 219). We usually 'collect' data, code and interpret data based on advice gained from textbooks and with the hope that something new emerge through this process. In this summer school, we make 'data' unfamiliar. Through interdisciplinary engagements we interrogate what we do / can consider as [good] data in the context of social research: definitions, enactments and treatments of data.  We think this is an important issue in research at a time when data has gained the status of 'hard data' supplying 'hard evidence' and when the concept of data in many research projects is still treated as taken-for-granted.

* Please note: participation in the seminar is FREE of charge!

See more information on the following link:

http://datainsocialresearch.blogspot.fi/

If you have a question, please do not hesitate to email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Best wishes,
Zsuzsa