Dear all,

Thank you all, I've been enjoying this discussion.

Building on what Chiara Rabbiosi said about languages and situated modes of writing and argumentation, some of you may enjoy a piece I wrote a couple of years back, buried deep in the SAGE Handbook of Human Geography - Practising Human Geographies<http://archive-ouverte.unige.ch/documents/advanced_search?field1=journal.marc&value1=SAGE+Handbook+of+Human+Geography+-+Practising+Human+Geographies>. London & Thousand Oaks: SAGE. 2014, p. 296-325

Available free here as author pre-print: http://archive-ouverte.unige.ch/unige:38862

Writing (somewhere)
In this chapter, I review recent research on the centrality of disciplinary national and postnational networks and alliances of individuals to the practice of writing. I explore how the nature and persistence of intellectual breaks and ruptures within a discipline relies on the embodiedness and material embeddedness of intellectual production, working across and within national, cultural and linguistic spaces. I explore how the role of space within globalising social sciences and knowledge production has been presented and researched by geographers, arguing that this has relied on a paradoxically limited understanding of the role it plays. In a second part of this chapter, I try to move such debates forward by taking the so-called ‘spatial turn’ in science studies one step further by drawing on Michel Serres’s recent subversive proposal for rethinking the spaces of science. This involves exploring how shifting links and echoes, and changing proximities and distances, can be used as alternative ordering devices to straightforward physical spaces, when aiming to think critically about the spaces of knowledge production.
Happy to send postprint if anyone is interested. Several other papers on similar topics also on this free Open Archive of the University of Geneva. I find it interesting in the context of our discussion to consider that such online university archives are both a competitive marketing strategy in the world of university ranking and a practical attempt to break down paywalls...

Best,
Juliet

Juliet J. Fall, Professeure ordinaire (Full professor) -- Directrice de département
Département de géographie et environnement - Faculté des Sciences de la Société
Bâtiment Uni Carl Vogt - Université de Genève - Boulevard Carl Vogt, 66  -  CH-1211 Genève 4 - Switzerland