From: Mobile Lives Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, 29 March 2016 11:51 PM
To: Simon P J Batterbury
Subject: Tribute to John Urry

The Journal from March 29th to April 11th 2016

Also available on en.forumviesmobiles.org<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org>

[Mobile Lives Forum]<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/>

Preparing the mobility transition

Tribute to John Urry

It is with great sadness that we learned of John’s untimely passing. His approach, which puts mobility at the heart of understanding contemporary societies, made him one of the pioneers in the field of mobility studies. His analysis led him to imagine an oil-less world, an unusual exercise for a sociologist, but one that is central for the Mobile Lives Forum in its effort to prepare for the mobility transition. A prolific researcher with an extraordinary analytical capacity, John Urry was also a kind and warm person. The Forum invites you to (re)discover some of his ideas about mobility in this newsletter.

Christophe Gay and Sylvie Landriève, co-directors of the Mobile Lives Forum

Dictionary

John Urry (sociologist)<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/marks/john-urry-sociologist-1979>
John Urry (1946-2016) was a British sociologist, Professor at Lancaster University and the co-founder and Director of the Centre for Mobilities Research. He is author of seminal mobilities texts such as Sociology Beyond Societies and Mobilities. Since the mid 1990s he has advocated a shift in the focus of sociology from the study of a-spatial social structures to the study of mobilities.

Videos

What is the mobility turn ?<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/video/2012/12/10/what-mobility-turn-467>
Many writers now mobilize the “mobility turn”. As this post-disciplinary concept spreads through social sciences, it has become essential to analyze the complex organization of today’s economic, social and political spaces, argues Professor John Urry.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/pictures/picture-71-1358760014.jpg]

Treasure islands: hidden offshore worlds<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/video/2015/01/27/treasure-islands-hidden-offshore-worlds-2741>
The idealism of a borderless world has been replaced by a picture of dark secrets, crime and unfettered capitalism.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/treasure_islands_hidden_offshore_worlds_-_john_urry.jpg]

The threat hanging over our global travel<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/video/2013/02/21/threat-hanging-over-our-global-travel-642>
We are travelling more than ever before, but 95% of transportation depends on oil, for which global supplies have already peaked. What will happen to our mobile lives in the future, asks Professor John Urry.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/john_urry.jpg]

Essential Reading

Mobilities by John Urry<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/publication/livres-clefs/2012/12/10/mobilities-john-urry-469>
Mobilities examines how transport and communication systems enable social relations at a distance and their implications for social inequality and alternative social and environmental futures. It outlines a sociology of the future based on the study of complex mobile systems.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/mobilities-urry-john_0.jpg]

The New Mobilities Paradigm - by Mimi Sheller and John Urry<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/publication/livres-clefs/2012/12/11/new-mobilities-paradigm-mimi-sheller-and-john-urry-501>
This paper describes a new paradigm or way of framing research in the social sciences revolving around the study of the interdependent movements of people, information, images and objects.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/epa.gif]

Forum's Books

Post Petroleum<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/publication/livres-forum/2014/11/13/post-petroleum-2663>
Oil is fundamental to life in contemporary societies. And yet, reserves will be depleted within a few decades. What impact will this have on the way we live and move in the future?In this original book-object, John Urry imagines what will become of ‘disconnected’ societies, by formulating four ‘post-oil’ scenarios.

[http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/sites/default/files/post_petroleum_-_forum_vies_mobiles_-_john_urry-2.jpg]

Blogs

Capitalism and collective action in the work of John Urry (I)<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/caletrio/blog/2013/09/02/capitalism-and-collective-action-work-john-urry-i-1146>
British sociologist John Urry is recognized as one of the most authoritative voices arguing for a ‘mobilities turn’ in the social sciences. Books such as Sociology Beyond Societies (2000), Mobilities (2007) and Mobile Lives (2010) are regarded as milestones in the development of the mobilities turn and widely cited in many fields. However, important aspects of his work on mobilities were prefigured earlier in discussions about collective action and the restructuring of capitalism. This and the next entry of Café Braudel offer insights into this overlooked area of Urry’s work so as to broaden our understanding of his thinking on mobile lives and mobility futures.

Capitalism and collective action in the work of John Urry (II)<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/caletrio/blog/2013/09/16/capitalism-and-collective-action-work-john-urry-ii-1167>
This is the second of a two-entry series of Café Braudel on capitalism and collective action in the work of John Urry, one of the scholars who has advocated most forcefully a ‘mobilities turn’ in the social sciences. In the previous entry I introduced one of Urry’s seminal books, The End of Organized Capitalism (1987), and noted an enduring concern with collective action in his work and, more specifically, in his mobile sociology. This entry introduces Economies of Signs and Space, another important book published seven years later that further develops the arguments initiated in the previous book. From a mobilities perspective, considering both books together is important because they illustrate a shift in focus in the study of the social, from a ‘cross-national’ analysis in The End of Organized Capitalism to a ‘sociology of global flows’ in Economies of Signs and Space.

The Mobile Lives Forum is an independent institute for research and exchange on mobility, supported by [SNCF]

Contact us<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  | Who are we?<http://en.forumviesmobiles.org/page/presentation-association>  | Edit your email<http://mailing.celaneo.com/page/send/MjU4/user/c2ltb25wamJAdW5pbWVsYi5lZHUuYXU=/edit-mail/> | Unsubscribe<http://mailing.celaneo.com/page/send/MjU4/user/c2ltb25wamJAdW5pbWVsYi5lZHUuYXU=/unsubscribe/> | [Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/forumviesmobiles>  | [Facebook] <https://twitter.com/FViesMobiles>