Dear Robert and others interested in this thread,
During our recent installation of a new K2 summit, Gatan pointed us to the info at the serialEM site. http://bio3d.colorado.edu/SerialEM/hlp/html/about_camera.htm#directDetectors
From the info online and what you explained, we are planning to collect super resolution /dose fractionation data  in 40 frames per exposure with 40 electrons/pixel spread in 8 seconds. The magnification we use will give 5-10 electrons per physical pixel per second. The packed unnormalized super-resolution data, which have hardware corrections ( (subtraction of dark ref. plus gain normalization), contain the raw electron counts. At this point the frame data are not rotated nor flipped, and each pixel is 4-bit , and can be compressed with a good ratio (say LZW tiffs). The size of the output data per exposure will be ~1/10 of that (~9GB) of the ones delivered from default operations. From post-processing, unpacking, frame rotation / y-flipping, normalization with software gain reference (16-bit) and correction of defects  will be used to yield the normal 16-bit data for analysis.
As all of those I have talked to are using their K2 summit in counting mode, I wonder if any one in this broad list is doing similar operations and can help us verify the sequence of these steps before our implementation.

Thanks.

Qiu-Xing

From: Collaborative Computational Project in Electron cryo-Microscopy <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Robert McLeod <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 3:26 AM
To: Collaborative Computational Project in Electron cryo-Microscopy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [ccpem] 16 bit vs 32 bit

All,

Gatan outputs the data as 32-bit floating point because it applies two gain references, one before counting and one after. The second gain reference reduces electrons to some fraction (over a range of about 0.9-1.1).

The process as I understand it is as follows:

1.) Apply hardware dark reference subtraction
2.) Apply hardware gain reference normalization (this also has a hot/dead pixel mask step)
3.) Count (threshold) electrons (with center of mass fitting)
4.) Integrate fast-frames to desired exposure time (uint16)
5.) Move data to Gatan PC
6.) Apply (super-resolution) gain reference (float32)

If you round your data to the nearest integer, you must keep the software gain reference and apply it later before any processing.  The .m2 reference is the right one for 4k, and .m3 for 8k. Otherwise you will have substantial correlated noise in your summed stacks.

FYI, there's no difference between uint-4. uint-8, uint-16, or uint-32 after it's been compressed losslessly (e.g. by pigz or lbzip2).  All that matters is the number of unique values (i.e. the histogram).  Similarly, floating-point data that's been rounded to the nearest 1/100th of an electron compresses by about 3.5:1, compared to about 1.5:1 for a typical .DM4 image stack.  In comparison integer data will compress about 4.5 - 6.0:1, depending on the dose rate.

Robert

--
Robert McLeod, Ph.D.
Center for Cellular Imaging and Nano Analytics (C-CINA)