JPK- My boundaries were relatively arbitrary. 5% or 10% might be personal
preference. But I agree, why not use it with low twin fraction.

I see my mistake here on the perfect twinning. - one cannot detwin perfect
data reliably, but that does not mean one cannot use the twin law, thanks
Kay for pointing that out. My understanding of the twin law use seems to be
incorrect- I was assuming that they detwinned the data, but this is not the
case. I appreciate the clarification.

So, it seems that using the twin law during refinement is acceptable for
all ranges of twinning, and the maps are your ultimate guide.

Is it technically/theoretically incorrect to *not* use a twin law for a
heavily twinned structure? Is there any reason to think those maps may
produce different results as refining with a twin law? Or is either
refinement option theoretically acceptable?

Thanks all!

Teresa