Bluecoat is Liverpool city centre’s oldest building and will celebrate 300 years in 2017.

We have received funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to develop a project called My Bluecoat which will bring alive the building’s heritage. The project will bring together information about the transformation from charity school in the 18th and 19th centuries to the UK’s first arts centre in the 20th century in one place and make it publicly accessible for the first time.

A programme of heritage, art exhibitions, live music and dance events and community projects will investigate different aspects of Bluecoat’s history and explore its connection to Liverpool’s maritime culture, the mystery of the building’s architect and its history of radical art exhibitions.

We will also collect and share the stories of individuals who have personal connections to Bluecoat, presenting an alternative narrative to the building’s history and highlight its continued relevance to Liverpool. Material will be uploaded onto a new My Bluecoat website allowing current visitors to learn more about Bluecoat’s history and creating opportunities to share Bluecoat’s heritage with a new audience.

We are seeking help in a number of areas, including from those wanting to share their stories, assistance in cataloguing and digitising archival material, collecting oral histories and people from a variety of backgrounds to assist us in general consultation groups as the project progresses. Training would be provided and you can work hours that suit you.

If you would like to know more, or think you may be able to assist us please contact Samantha Wilson on [log in to unmask] or 01517027768

We look forward to hearing from you!