Dear all,

Many thanks for all the replies about inner storage rolls for maps. There
were quite a few suggestions so I thought a summary would be helpful:

- 3" diameter seems to be the preferred size.  Most people buy long and cut
to the required size.

 - the main manufacturer seems to be Preservation Equipment, and
Conservation by Design. Quite a few people are using these, but they are
very expensive.

- one person had used Pelaw Packaging and  a number recommend Klug -
apparently it is still cheaper to buy from them although they are outside
the UK.

 - a few DIY suggestions: non archival ones can be wrapped in a tin foil
barrier and then in archival paper. Some people suggested a roll of heavy
weight melinex. I did wonder if you could use a roll of thick plastazote?

- one person said their ideal would be plastazote rolls in a range of
diameters that could be cut to size. If anyone knows if these exist please
let us know!

Many thanks,

Lucy Rutherford
Assistant Archivist, Hertford College, Oxford