We invite applications for a PhD studentship funded by the Institute of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Aberdeen.

Deadline for application is Friday 25th March 2016.

The PhD is a mixed methods study to investigate the effect of geography on patient and primary care delay in cancer diagnosis.

Please follow the link for further details on how to apply:  https://www.abdn.ac.uk/clsm/graduate/research/cancer-diagnosis-1213.php

This PhD would suit someone with a statistical background with an interest in health research.

Brief summary

Our work, most recently using the NASCAR dataset, shows that rural residents have poorer cancer outcomes.  This is consistent with global literature, but why has not been established.

NASCAR is the first study to explore if it results from longer delays and different treatment subsequent to GP referral (Secondary Care Delay).

However, we found no evidence for this.  The influence of patient and primary care delay on poorer rural cancer outcomes have yet to be explored.

The NASCAR dataset uniquely equips us to achieve this.  This exciting mixed-methods PhD focuses on improving our understanding of cancer diagnosis in three parts.

First, the student will conduct the first ever systematic review investigating factors which influence cancer diagnostic trajectories in rural areas.

Second, they will conduct an innovative analysis, using the uniquely detailed NASCAR dataset, of how community, practice and patient characteristics impact on primary care delay in the cancer trajectory.

Third, they will interview those diagnosed with common cancers from rural and islands communities to understand how personal perspective, demographic characteristic

and place of residence impact upon patient delay in the cancer diagnostic trajectory.

The project would suit a student with experience of database analysis keen to gain additional qualitative experience.

Entry criteria and deadline

It is expected that applicants should have (or expect to achieve) a First Class undergraduate degree, or a Distinction at Masters level or equivalent in statistics or medical statistics.

The studentship is open to suitable UK/EU applicants.

The deadline for submission of your application to the competition is Friday 25th March 2016.

Applicants must contact Dr Shona Fielding at  [log in to unmask] and Dr Peter Murchie [log in to unmask] to the discuss the project in advance of submitting an application.

Best Wishes,

Shona

Dr Shona Fielding

Lecturer in Medical Statistics, Medical Statistics Team

Institute of Applied Health Sciences

University of Aberdeen

Email: [log in to unmask]

New MPH starting Sept 2016, see link for further details

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduate/taught/public-health/

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683. You may leave the list at any time by sending the command

SIGNOFF allstat