Were you able to shoot tethered with other software? It would be a good way to isolate the issue from hardware/cabling.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, 5:40 PM digitisingart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I occasionally use my D800 tethered to Sofortbild and that is a bit hit and miss - sometimes it recognises it and sometimes not. However it usually only takes two or three attempts and then works ok. Best Max
tel 0044 (0)7966 436973