******** Apologies for cross posting ***************************

Dear colleagues

I have been invited to join the Social Mobility Advisory Group. For those of you who are not aware of this group a brief explanation is below or follow this link http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/highereducation/Pages/Socialmobilityinhighereducationisaboutmorethanjustaccesstouniversity%E2%80%93launchofnewSocialMobilityAdvisoryGroup.aspx#.VtXp53ZFAdU .

We have a real opportunity to influence the decision making process and I hope that you will join me in making the most of it. Here is how.

If you have interventions that are working at any stage of the student life cycle for any equality or under-represented group please let me know so I can highlight the initiative and institution.

For each initiative please provide:

-          Brief description and target audience

-          Numbers involved

-          Evidence of success - quantitative (access, progression, attainment, employment) or qualitative

For those of you who have tried contexualised admissions please do send me a brief summary which:

-          Is this an institutional approach or led by interested faculty staff?

-          How long this has been in place?

-          How have you trained staff (face to face/online; does it include unconscious bias) and how have you informed students so that they apply without the specified tariff points?

For those of you who have institutional level approaches to inclusive curriculum (to support social mobility) could you :

-          Describe the approach and who is leading it

-          What staff development activities does this involve

-          How many staff have gone through the development activity

-          How are you measuring success

And finally

What are the key points you would like to raise about any of the groups that fall under this remit.  If you want these points accredited to you please state this otherwise I will say these are from members of HERAG or other networks if stipulated.

Please send them to me by March 8th

The Social Mobility Advisory Group  has been convened to look at how to make further progress in widening participation for under-represented groups in higher education, including those from lower socio-economic groups, from black and minority ethnic backgrounds, white ‘working class’ boys, and those with disabilities. The advisory group will consider these issues across the student life cycle, looking at access, retention, success and progression and make recommendations to the Government.

Nona McDuff   MSc  Cert Education

Director of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion I Vice Chancellor's Office

Member of the Social Mobility Advisory Group

Project Lead for the Higher Education Academy collaboration on the BME attainment gap

Chair of the Higher Education Race Action Group

Executive Board Member of Kingston’s Race and Equalities Council

Member of Leadership Foundation Diversity Advisory Group

Kingston University London53-57 High Street I  Kingston upon Thames  I Surrey I KT1 1LQ
T 020 8417 4494 I Internal 64494 I  [log in to unmask] I www.kingston.ac.uk

 cid:image001.jpg@01CB873E.4A14A460

Information in this email and any attachments are confidential, and may not be copied or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor disclosed to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to create any legally binding contract or other commitment through the use of this email.