Dear Mailbase,

We’ve have had a couple of false positive results on the Beckman DxI this week, which we think are due to the samples (Sarstedt serum gel) being centrifuged too soon post collection. We had 2 samples centrifuged within 6 minutes of collection which gave these false positives. They were identified as false positive as they were baseline/admission samples but the 12hr post chest pain samples were negative.

I was wondering how other labs avoid this problem. Sarstedt say that their serum gel tube must be stored in an upright position for 30 mins to clot prior to centrifugation and then centrifuged for 10 mins. But how can labs report results within 1hr turnaround if these timings are used? Also to prevent false positive results do any labs take an aliquot of serum to be re-centrifuged before Troponin analysis?

Many thanks

Alastair

Mr Alastair Graham FIBMS

Section Manager

Blood Sciences

Borders General Hospital

Melrose

TD6 9BS

Tel: 01896 826245

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this email in error please notify the NHS Borders Servicedesk on
01896 82 77 77.

Opinions expressed herein are those of the sender and do NOT represent the
corporate position of NHS  Borders

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk Green Laboratories Work http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/