Dear  Hannibal,

You have been pronouncing it correctly (or everyone that I have heard is pronouncing it incorrectly).

Best,
Kim

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 9, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Hannibal Hamlin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Sidneians, Spenserians, and fellow travellers,

A medievalist colleague and I are both (separately) talking about early English food in couple of weeks at a colloquium sponsored by our Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies. She asked me how to pronounce the first name of Gervase Markham, whether "jer-VASE" or "JAR-viss." I'm also planning to mention him, and while I've had "jer-VASE" in my head, I honestly don't know where I got this. Can any of you confirm or deny or offer suggestions?

Many thanks,

Hannibal

--
Hannibal Hamlin