See how she leans her cheek upon her hand.
O, that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek!

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Sean Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks, Joel---that's excellent. I'll pass that passage along to my friend in Scotland upon whose behalf I was asking.

Perhaps I'll pose my friend's question here: "I'm trying to remember a poem wherein the poet wishes he were a necklace so he could hang between his mistress's cleavage. Tell me I'm not making it up, and better yet tell me what it is!"

Suggestions have thus far included Herrick's "The Vine," Tennyson's "The Miller's Daughter," The Song of Solomon 1:13, the Prince of Wales's yearning to be an item of feminine hygiene, and Bryan Adams's song "I Wanna Be Your Underwear." I wonder whether anyone can think of other examples of this wishing trope.

Sean.