Dear all,

Just a reminder that there is less than a week left to submit your proposal for SCSC 2016, which will take place August 18-20 in historic Bruges, Belgium.  Yes, yes, I've heard all the excuses for why some of you are still hesitating:

--Those Christmas lights have to come down sometime, and August is the month.
--My Big Book of Knock-Knock Jokes isn't going to read itself.
--Those recent Yeti sightings in Brussels I think I read about on the internet somewhere really have me worried.
--I'm concerned about the Belgian media's notoriously spotty coverage of American Arena Football.
--I've never forgiven Charles the Bold for his shabby treatment of Edward IV when he landed at Alkmaar in 1470.
--I'm worried about the language barrier: I can't find "Belgian" on Google Translate.
--A gypsy fortune teller told me that I'd meet my death by pommes frites.

Come now, just remember what Edmund Spenser once said: "Be bold, be bold, be very, very bold!" (or something like that).  Join us for interesting papers, great food, and the beautiful setting of Bruges, Belgium.  The deadline of Feb. 15 is fast approaching.

To submit a paper proposal, just follow the link below. I hope to see many of you this summer in Belgium!

With best wishes,

Scott

P.S. Charles the Bold died in 1477, so you won't have to worry about making inadvertent eye contact.

The Sixteenth Century Society and Conference (SCSC) is  accepting proposals for individual presentation proposals and complete panels for its 2016 annual conference, to be held 18-20 August 2016 at Martins Hotel, the Crowne Plaza Hotel, and the Provinciaal Hof in Bruges, Belgium.  The deadline for proposals is February 15, 2016. Please don't delay submitting your proposal! Within four weeks after the deadline, the Program Committee will notify all those who submitted proposals. The conference will once again host poster sessions.

In addition to standard panels, the organizing committee will again be accepting proposals for four types of alternate panels: Workshop Option A: Discussion of pre-circulated papers in a workshop format (limit of 4 participants).

Workshop Option B: Analysis of thorny translation/paleography questions; pre-circulation not required (limit of 3 participants).

Workshop Option C: Examination of a big issue or question with brief comments from presenters and lively audience participation (similar to roundtables with more audience participation; limit of 4 participants), and Roundtables sponsored by affiliated societies. Questions about formats should be directed to: [log in to unmask]

The SCSC, founded to promote scholarship on the early modern era (ca. 1450 – ca. 1660), actively encourages the participation of international scholars as well as the integration of younger colleagues into the academic community. We also welcome proposals for roundtables sponsored by scholarly societies that are affiliated with the SCSC.

Abstracts (up to 250 words in length) for individual presentations and complete panels may be submitted online at: www.sixteenthcentury.org/conference