“Screenwriting between Artistic Freedom and Norms”

Call for papers

The 9th Screenwriting Research Network (SRN) International Conference will take place in Stockholm, Sweden on Thursday 8th to Saturday 10th September 2016.

The conference will focus on Screenwriting between Artistic Freedom and Norms. The conference wants to examine these rules, norms and conventions – the frameworks in which screenwriters work. We want to discuss the history as well as the ongoing discourse about manuals, the role and function of rules within teaching screenwriting, as well as the rules of certain genres and media.

We invite discussion about screenwriting as an art between artistic freedom and norms.

We are particularly interested in abstracts for presentations on the following topics:

• The history and functions of manuals
• Teaching rules or teaching creativity?
• Different screenwriting practices and formats
• National traditions of screenwriting and storytelling
• Reflections on narrative theory and dramaturgy
• Screenwriting and literature, adapting novels into scripts
• The rules of genre writing
• Censorship and screenwriting

We would also like to invite abstracts for presentations beyond the theme of the conference. We are looking forward to abstracts that cover the wide field of screenwriting studies, including, but not limited to the following topics:

• Artistic research in the field of screenwriting for moving images
• Artistic research in the field of screenwriting for media performance
• Practice based research in the field of screenwriting and dramaturgy
• Writing for episodic television
• Case studies on individual writers or texts
• Historical perspectives on screenwriting and screenplays
• Screenwriting, the screenplay and different production structures
• Screenwriting and narrative theory in writing for short films
• Screenwriting for television, games and animation
• Screenwriting for new media forms, online, transmedia, etc.
• How does industry changes in the digital age affect screenwriters?

Abstracts for original paper presentations may be submitted until 15 March 2016. Earlier submissions are welcome. Original paper presentations only (no repetitions from other conferences or former SRN conferences).

Please send abstracts (250-300 words) as word or pdf document, with the email subject heading “SRN Conference abstract” to:

Remember to state your name, affiliation and contact information. Also include a brief biographical statement (100 words) detailing your publications and/or screenwriting practice.

We aim to let you know by latest 15 April 2016 if your paper has been accepted.