Hi Mandy

My approach to this is via the classification scheme – because otherwise it is very difficult for users to clarify what an information audit is all about, unless you are doing an information asset audit which is a bit different.

So what I do is I start with an outline classification scheme, and get users to work their way through it – adding and removing categories as necessary, and that will give you a pretty good idea of the information they hold.  Then depending on what your approach is toe SharePoint (i.e. flat file structure, hierarchical file structure) you can refine your audit via the retention schedule and your SharePoint design.

In terms of organisational approach – we have done this by level 1 of the LGCS, and using level 2 to identify sub-teams, and not by organisational structure, and this seldom stays the same, but what you will find is cross-over and overlap, where teams are keeping the same information but in duplicate, it is then a question of identifying where the information “belongs” either in an organisational sense or from a function perspective.

For preparation for SharePoint you could use TreeSize Pro to underpin your audit.

I do hope that helps, let me know if you want anymore.

Madi McAllister

Information Governance & Records Management Officer

London Borough of Merton

Tel: x 4180