Hi Dawn,

I agree that it is nice that these companies are taking an interest in this issue. But surely good intentions do not absolve them of the responsibility to develop an effective approach? If their attempts result in net negative impact, I don’t think we would be that grateful for their participation, right?

Apart from the obvious point that they should be using high quality formative evaluation to identify which approaches are most likely to be effective (and summative evaluation to ensure effectiveness), there is some excellent existing research available to science communication practitioners involved in tackling this kind of issue. For example, I would recommend the resources from this project at the Open University: http://www.open.ac.uk/invisible-witnesses/

Best wishes,
Eric

Dr Eric Jensen, Fellow Higher Education Academy
Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer), Department of Sociology, University of Warwick
Sociology at the University of Warwick ranked:
The Guardian, Complete University Guide and The Times Good University Guide – 3rd
QS World University Ranking - 23rd