Well,
From someone, like me mostly interested in a-cromatic lines, I really think that what separates the existing flux of light wave lengths spectrum are words.
There is a linguistic moment in which you stop saying blue, and… you can’t start saying green and… you finally can start saying green. In the large spectrum of indecision between green and blue, color behaves like a flux. Inside the indisputable greenness or blueness, light behaves like musical notation.
Pythagoras identified for the first time in human history a relation between aesthetically reception, numbers and dimensions by defining musical harmonies. This relied on pressing a musical cord exactly in a measurable point. Pythagorean musical proportions only worked on those precise divisions. From this discovery a theory of proportions (how a part is related to whole?; how a part is related to another part?) was elaborated and lasted until our days. This is to say that sound is also composed of wavelengths, by mathematical definition indivisible but clearly arithmetically divisible.
Naming colors is of the same sort. By defining proportions in sound calling it music, Pythagoras defined aesthetical categories, by calling names to light wave lengths we do the same. Naming colors is an aesthetical theory. We can not define this linguistic aberrant strive in another way. Saying: this stuff is blue is the first and ultimate theory about color.
Eduardo Corte-Real
PhD
Associate Professor

[cid:D06107DC-6991-422C-90A3-827D3E65BE27]

Av. Dom Carlos I, nº4, 1200-649 Lisboa, Portugal
T: +351 213 939 600

[cid:image009.png@01D14E3A.80B12DE0]