Dear Stuart, the concept (or idea) of "design space" emerges from the
engineering design in the sixties, where "design-space" describes the range
of action for engineering design.

The first references I know are from the first Design Methods Conferences:

William Gosling, The Relevance of System Engineering, (p. 31), 1962
Conference
He refers to design problem within design process, looking forward a
construction of a theory of design:

*All the fore going may be considered as providing the necessary ground
work for an answer to the question of the relevance of the emerging
discipline of system engineering to the more general topic of design, at
least in an engineering context. If the definition of system engineering
proposed here is accepted it will be seen as a particular case, and a very
simple one, of the general design problem. Indeed, system engineering
formalizes even the actual process of designing a real engineering system.
Thus the formalized design situation of a sponsor, a system designer, and
element designers, as separate individuals activated by rational motives,
is not exactly paralleled in reality, where these entities will probably be
groups, and their motivations will, at least in part, be determined by
interpersonal relationships within and without the group. Similarly only
rarely will a system be assembled entirely from available elements: more
commonly some crucial elements will have marginal availability status.
Similarly much specification data will be unavailable, system users will
not behave rationally, the system environment will change unpredictably as
a result of uncontrolled economic and technological developments, and so
on. A more sophisticated second generation system design theory will take
some of these factors into account, others will contribute an uncertainty
factor to design space, but a naive formalized theory has proved a valuable
starting point.*
*Just as system engineering can grow in maturity by progressively
complicating its model of the design process, so it seems not unreasonable
to hope that the whole discipline of system engineering may serve as a
paradigm for a rational theory of design.*

S. A. Gregory uses the concept in: Design Science (p. 397), 1965
Conference, Birmingham

*Varieties of DesignStudents of technological design already recognize
different versions of design activity which may have a hierarchical
relationship within the design-space of a system. For example, it may be a
system or a component that is designed; it may be a process or a
container.Not all major practical design activity is necessarily overtly
concerned with system design .*

There is a great PhD work, by Christopher Heape (that he shared in this
list in 2012): *The Design Space: the design process as the construction,
exploration and expansion of a conceptual space*
here are the links he posted:

*Abstract:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18200550/Chris%20Heape%20PhD%20abstract%20%2B%20table%20of%20contents.pdf
<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18200550/Chris%20Heape%20PhD%20abstract%20%2B%20table%20of%20contents.pdf>*