Undertaking breath test will provide justification to refrain from driving - From a duty of care perspective.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 8:04 AM -0800, "Helen_Vangikar" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello everyone

I have offered to post a query from a colleague in the hope of some assistance as my background is very different.

We're seeing folk with alcohol problems coming to us or referred by mgt who may smell of alcohol or we suspect maybe impaired and we want to advise them that perhaps they shouldn't drive home but get someone to pick them up or get a taxi until they sober up. We don't want to use the data in a disciplinary or punitive policing way but to influence them in informing their decision to not drive and address the problem. Is there any suitable model you might recommend within a therapeutic consultation, not for random or pre-placement screening, just selective use as I've described?

Example last week we had a healthcare worker who we suspected had been drinking. They drove to OHS. We advised them not to drive and get someone to collect her. We took blood alcohol which took 3 days to get back from toxicology (>300mg/%). Real-time feedback backed up by toxicology would have been better.

Regards

Helen

|  Helen Vangikar  |  Toxicology Consultant  |  Technical Assessor  |  Trainer  |

|  m. +44 (0)7856 979961  |  e. [log in to unmask]  |  www.helenvangikar.com  |  skype. helen.vangikar  |