Hello list,
My name is Chana and I'm writing my PhD in the Department of Jewish History at Ben Gurion University of the Negev. My topic is Elijah the Prophet in medieval (roughly 12-15th centuries) German culture, focusing on Elijah's role in Jewish-Christian polemics.

I am turning to the list with a request for information about theater-
I have found an interesting connection between some Jewish accounts of the eschaton and Christian traditions about the Last Emperor, Antichrist and the two Witnesses (usually Elijah and Enoch). All three elements appear in the Ludus de Antichristi play.

My current hypothesis is that wider lay audiences could have learned about the role of Elijah in the Antichrist tradition from viewing the play, or similar plays. If plays were performed in public (urban) spaces, perhaps Jews saw them, too.

However, I need to answer some key questions to make this argument:
1. were plays performed in public spaces?
2. were plays performed in vernacular languages?
3. when were the plays performed? was there a seasonal cycle?

So far I have been unsuccessful in finding literature about the reception of theater during my time and place of interest.
Suggestions are very welcome.

Many thanks,
Chana Shacham-Rosby