Dear list members,
I'm currently working on the Middle English poem 'O Vernicle', in which each stanza is addressed to a different item from the Arma Christi.  The poem seems to hope that each object will protect the reader from a particular sin (for example: 'Þe pens also þat Iudas tolde / Þer for Ihesu Crist was solde, / Vs schilde fro treson and couaytise / Þer in to dye in none wise').  The poem was later rewritten to address the verses directly to God.  The original version can be read as a sort of catalogue of Christ's sufferings and the types of forgiveness he offers, but I think it could also be read as a prayer to the objects themselves (hence the re-write).
I'm curious about how common this was.  Do any of you know of articles that discuss praying to objects?  I know that there are prayers to the cross, but if I understand Aquinas correctly the cross is a special case because it's the sign of Christ.  I also know that relics can be contact relics rather than human remains, but as far as I know people didn't pray directly to contact relics.  Am I wrong?  Are there medieval prayers addressing other objects?  Where would I go to find out?
I would be grateful for any advice!
Thank you,
Katherine Hindley