Thanks to everyone who replied to my request for information about the side wound of Christ!  The comments and bibliography are very helpful!   Steve

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Henrike Laehnemann
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 3:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Side Wound of Christ

Many examples of imagining the Side Wound of Christ in Kate Rudy’s book on devotional images where they form the largest sub-category: http://yalebooks.com/book/9780300209891/postcards-parchment
From the blurb: „This book has a twofold aim: first to name a category, the parchment painting (the medieval version of a postcard) and to demonstrate its identifying characteristics; and second, to uncover through detective work the roles that the images filled, and thereby to enrich our understanding of late medieval visual culture. Most of the images are religious and depict saints, the Wounds of Christ, and the arma Christi, and others are secular, including nine ways to style a beard, the world mapped onto the digestive tract of a cow, and the stages of execution of a medieval manuscript. Most of the 300+ examples I have found are pasted into books and have been wrongly classified as miniatures or illuminations, but this obscures their primary functions. These objects had material lives outside the book, where they fulfilled surprising roles, before they were glued, sewn, or otherwise bound into manuscripts. Their functions included serving as corporate calling cards, postcards, amulets, altar furnishings, pilgrims’ souvenirs, and death memorials."

Henrike Lähnemann * Professor of Medieval German<http://www.mod-langs.ox.ac.uk/laehnemann>
Office: Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages * 41 Wellington Square * GB - OX1 2JF * 01865-270498
Postal address:  St Edmund Hall<https://www.seh.ox.ac.uk/fellows-and-staff> *Queen’s Lane * GB – OX1 4AR Oxford * Medingen website http://medingen.seh.ox.ac.uk/ @HLaehnemann

Am 21.02.2016 um 05:40 schrieb Grover Zinn <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>:

I would second Paul Chandler on Jeffrey's Nun's as Artists, and I would add The Visual and the Visionary (Zone Books, 1998).  The essays are full of references to and commentary on images and practices involving wound in Christ's side and also involving his heart.  Cf. Fig. 6.20 and esp. figs. 9.19 and 9.20 for Catherine of Siena drinking from the wound in Christ's side.  See esp. Catherine's Dialogues for her complex relationship to the wound in Christ's side. The pseudo-Bonaventure Meditations on the Life of Christ is also useful/important.  As I recall, Catherine once said/wrote that she would like to stuff all the warring factions in Siena and elsewhere into the side of Christ (and therefore his blood)  to reconcile them. See Bonaventure's Lignum vitae and elsewhere also.

Nun's as Artists may be the book (I don't have it at hand) but somewhere Jeffrey discusses the devotional "cards" made by nuns that included cutouts of the wound in Christ's side into which you can thrust your finger.  Sorry not to have a better reference than what my mind has retained.

Nice to have the other references in this thread.

best

Grover

Grover Zinn
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion, emeritus
former Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074
grover.zinn (at) oberlin.edu<http://oberlin.edu/>