From: Mandarin Chinese Teaching [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Duncan Gray
Sent: 02 February 2016 03:20
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Success approaches to teaching beginners Mandarin

Hi Chris

Depending on the age of the students I suggest you have a look at the Routledge Course in Modern Mandarin Chinese – it’s  a bit dry but it sensibly concentrates on pinyin for the first 6 units and a heavy focus on listening with structure drill being delivered as audio with the requirement to manipulate language orally. It’s a university course really and I am an adult but I think it’s basic approach is very sound, and that’s after using a wide range of Japanese, Spanish and Mandarin textbooks in both learning and teaching scenarios.

Personally I think 'first steps' are too character based and therefore make reading far too stodgy an exercise in decoding.  Being able to sound words out quickly and smoothly is critical.

Hope that insight helps

Duncan Gray

Keystone Academy, Beijing