Thank you, Christopher.  It is a delight to read this thread.

I absolutely concur with John's points (though can't comment on 5 and 7, of course!).

Re: Michel Thomas
I too have been more inspired by Michel Thomas than any other individual in the MFL space.  In my view, what is lacking in his method as applied to Chinese is primarily the result of the method being developed for a different kind of language.  Many of the problems he addresses simply don't exist in Chinese; other problems, which only exist in Chinese, he doesn't address at all.

Re: Oracy vs Writing
What I've found (not with Primary, but with Secondary and Adult students) is that if you focus on oracy, students will always try to write something down (even if only in their minds) no matter how much you tell them not to.  I have concluded that it is much better to give them a real Chinese hook than to let them create their own which they will have to unlearn.  In other words, better to give them Pinyin than let them make up their own spellings; better still to give them a character which doesn't negatively influence the way they speak.

Request for Help
Over the last year I have been trying to formularise my conclusions from the past 30 years' experience into something that others can use.  I would really value colleagues' feedback  (offline please!) .  If you'd be willing to review the work in progress, please take a look at http://www.minutemandarin.com/how/ and let me know what you think: [log in to unmask].

Best regards
加油!

Tim