Hello

Please forgive me for sending something not strictly about teaching, but given that it’s half-term I thought some of you, or your advanced students, might be interested in the following. It relates to the Writing Chinese project, about new Chinese literature and its translation into English, which is hosted at the University of Leeds.

Our 2nd Chinese-English Translation Competition is open for entries and we are delighted to announce that we once again can offer the winner a full bursary to this summers Translate in the City literary translation workshop at City University, London. The winning entry will also be published (details to follow). The deadline for entries is Wednesday 9th March.

The text is a short piece of reportage by Li Jingrui李静 with all sorts of interesting bits to challenge even seasoned translators! So – do take up the challenge and see http://writingchinese.leeds.ac.uk/translation-competition/ for more details on the text and how to enter.

Also, for anyone fortunate enough to be in/around Yorkshire a heads-up that we are planning to host a speed-bookclubbing event in Leeds with practising Chinese-English translators of contemporary fiction, on Saturday 19th March – hold the date! Details to follow.

As discussed at the teachers conference last year, we are hoping to extend the Writing Chinese project to include a stronger focus on UK school curriculum, and the new guidelines about teaching literature from KS3. I’ll keep you updated on any developments on this.

Best wishes

Frances (http://writingchinese.leeds.ac.uk)

***********************

Dr Frances Weightman

Director of East Asian Studies

Senior Lecturer in Chinese Studies

School of Languages, Cultures and Societies

University of Leeds

Leeds LS29JT

0113-3433560

AHRC/WREAC-funded research project: $B!H(BWriting Chinese: authors, authorship and authority$B!I(B

http://writingchinese.leeds.ac.uk

promoting new Chinese writing in the UK