From: Mandarin Chinese Teaching [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alexander Ferraby
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 3:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AFL- feedback on written work

Dear Fiona and all, happy NY! Here we go again!

I designed a similar INSET session for my team one month ago. Two things are key, I think-

1.     Ask the pupil questions throughout their work- give them prompts to assess their own work- when you return books/ papers, get them to complete the process and decide for themselves how it could be developed (furthermore, get pupils to thoroughly assess their own and others’ work BEFORE you take it in- this will clear up a lot of silly errors and omissions before you spend hours marking!)

2.     Peer assessment needs to be guided very tightly in the first instance- success criteria for a piece of work must be very clear from the outset, as you set the task, and peers should be instructed in the first instance simply to assess whether their peer has met these specific criteria – i.e. included certain features.

Why not get your team to –

·         Bring and display 5 examples of their best classroom practice

·         Bring books and work and carry out a live marking session

·         Actually carry out a peer assessment task, as in pupil A and pupil B assess each other’s work, and then rotate

Just some quick ideas!

Alex Ferraby.

Alexander Ferraby     Seven Kings School     Languages Learning Leader    [log in to unmask]   Mandarin, French and Spanish teacher