Dear Chris

I’m very surprised to find out that you’ve already spotted the problem of the most frequent words and what are in the textbooks.  This is what I found as well.  For long run, I tend to believe students should learn the most frequent words first to quickly get on reading more meaning texts.

I’d follow these topics in textbooks, but carefully choose the most frequents words, short sentences to begin with.  Over time, students would cover all topics, and their knowledge in each topic grow.

As to writing, I agree with the other teachers, I think writing can be delayed a bit.  After all, lots of students find it much harder writing Chinese than English.  It might put them off learning Chinese if they have to do writing straight away.  But when I introduce reading, I also show pupils how to write stroke by stroke , just to give them some ideas what Chinese writings are like.  Also, this is one of the 40 ways to reinforce their memories.

When I introduce a new subject, I group listening and reading together (input), then speaking and writing (output).  Some Chinese characters are pictograph like this http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODk3MjQ5NTY4.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2

So reading Mandarin is an easy part for my pupils.

Hope it helps.

Helen Huang