You may be interested in a cautionary tale – a well-known archaeological contractor has just done some lidar research using the EA data and reported a series of large landscape divisions in part of the Somerset levels. Unfortunately they all follow the flightlines of the aircraft and are artefacts generated by the data processing where two flightpath’s data overlap and are combined. They are not continuous, depending, I assume, on the overlap. They show really clearly on the houseprices website, which confirmed our suspicions, as the ‘texture’ in the same modern field to either side of the ‘bank’ is different.

Chris Webster

Somerset Historic Environment Record

Somerset Heritage Centre

Brunel Way

Taunton

TA2 6SF

01823 347434

Online HER at www.somerset.gov.uk/her

The Somerset HER is managed for Somerset County Council by the South West Heritage Trust.

South West Heritage Trust is a charity and a company limited by guarantee registered in England.

Registered office: Somerset Heritage Centre, Brunel Way, Norton Fitzwarren, Taunton, Somerset TA2 6SF