I would like to bring to your attention this  fully funded Doctoral Opportunity for a 3 year Home/EU Student (July 2016 - May 2019) Alzheimer’s Society UK and Institute of Mental Health (IMH) at the University of Nottingham titled Scaling the Peaks; Understanding the needs and experiences of people affected by dementia in rural areas.

This will be a good opportunity for students who are interested in HealthGIS to apply.

To give some background, at the Nottingham Geospatial Institute, we are working on expanding our Geo Health Informatics research esp. looking into societal issues (Participatory Health Mapping, Geohazards, Spatial Clustering etc). So we see this as good opportunity for the student to also work with us for this research and future joint publications etc. Some examples of our previous research and publications specifically in HealthGIS  are:

Samarasundra E, Hansell A, Leibovici D, Horwell C, Anand S and Oppenheimer C, 2014. Geological hazards: From early warning systems to public health toolkits: Health and Place Health and Place. 30, 116-119
http://www.scopus.com/record/display.uri?eid=2-s2.0-84907525748&origin=inward&txGid=0

Leibovici D, Bastin L, Anand S , Hobona G and Jackson M., 2011"Spatially Clustered Associations in Health related geospatial data"  Transactions in GIS,Volume 15, Issue 3, pp 347–364  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9671.2011.01252.x/abstract

Pawlowicz, S Leibovici, DG, Anand, S, Ye, C, Jiang, W. and Jackson, M (2011) “Participatory Health Surveys” Open Source, Geo & Health Workshop, Edinburgh

Samarasundera, E. Hansell, A. Leibovici, D.G, Anand, S.(2011) “Primary care perspectives on open source GIS in the UK”. Open Source, Geo & Health Workshop, Edinburgh

Adams A., Ye C., Jiang W., Pawlowicz S., Anand S., Leibovici D., Jackson M,(2011) "Participatory Health Surveys Using Ubiquitous Computing: gastrointestinal illnesses application casestudy" , 19th Annual GIS Research UK Conference (GISRUK), Portsmouth

Pawlowicz S, Leibovici D, Jackson M, Anand S, (2011)., "Participatory HealthGIS", Open Source Junction 2: context-aware mobile technologies, Oxford

Leibovici, D.G. Anand, S. and Jackson, M.(2010)., "Open Source and Open Standards in Health Mapping. " British Computer Society: Open Source Health Informatics conference, London, UK

Informal enquires are welcome to Dr. Didier Leibovici [log in to unmask] or to Dr Fiona Marshall  [log in to unmask].

As part of the application process you are asked to submit a short, up-to-date CV (including qualifications and two referees) and a 1200 word proposal detailing how you might envisage taking forward the projects described above in relation to the application of GIS and dementia studies. This is to demonstrate your abilities as a researcher.

Please send your CV and word proposal by email to [log in to unmask]  by 9:00am on Monday 7th March 2016.

Interviews will take place on Friday 18th March 2016 at the Institute of Mental Health, Nottingham

The closing date for all applications is 9am on March 7th 2016. Details attached. We look forward to receiving your applications.

Best wishes,

Suchith